5 Common Grammar Mistakes That Secretly Creep Into Your Emails (And How to Fix Them)
Writing effective business emails isn't just about using fancy vocabulary—it’s about clarity, precision, and avoiding subtle grammar traps that can confuse your reader or make your writing look rushed.
Even experienced professionals fall into a few common linguistic habits. Here are 5 subtle grammar and usage mistakes you should eliminate from your emails today.
1. Adding "About" After "Discuss"
The Mistake: Writing "We will discuss about the project timeline in the meeting."
Why it happens: People mix up "talk about" with "discuss." However, the verb discuss already means to talk about.
❌ Incorrect: "Let's discuss about the budget."
✅ Correct: "Let's discuss the budget."
2. Using "Revert Back"
The Mistake: Writing "Please revert back to me with your comments."
Why it happens: Two issues here! First, "revert" technically means to return to a former state, not to reply. Second, adding "back" is redundant.
❌ Incorrect: "Kindly revert back at your earliest convenience."
✅ Correct: "Please reply by 3 PM," or "I look forward to your feedback."
3. Mixing Up "Cause Of" vs. "Reason For"
The Mistake: Using prepositions interchangeably when explaining an issue.
The Rule: Always pair the noun cause with of, and the noun reason with for.
❌ Incorrect: "What is the cause for the delay?"
✅ Correct: "What is the cause of the delay?" or "What is the reason for the delay?"
4. Confusing "Some" vs. "Any" in Professional Requests
The Mistake: Using "any" in positive, standard offers or statements.
The Rule: Use some in affirmative statements ("I have some updates"). Use any in negative statements or general questions ("I don't have any updates").
❌ Incorrect: "I have any files ready for you."
✅ Correct: "I have some files ready for you."
5. Writing "Please Find Attached Herewith"
The Mistake: Over-complicating simple file attachments with legal-sounding filler.
Why to fix it: Words like "herewith" sound stiff and outdated in modern corporate correspondence.
❌ Outdated: "Please find attached herewith the quarterly report."
✅ Modern: "I have attached the quarterly report below," or "Here is the report you requested."
Comments
Post a Comment